Thursday, September 25, 2014

{Spotlight Project} STAMPlorations Stamps And PanPastel Go Well Together!


With Christmas only 3 months away, how is your stash of Christmas cards? In the past, I've always scrambled and made cards at the last minute. As a result, the recipients got their Christmas cards after Christmas...because most of them were overseas. I'm not doing a repeat of last year and the previous years this year, as I've resolved to get my Christmas mailing done by mid-November!

The key to getting that pile up is to create Christmas cards that are quick and easy to reproduce. I'm all for creating cards assembly-line style, as it's more efficient (and less messy) that way. For example, I did this Christmas card here in such a manner that I was able to create 15 of them in 30 minutes.

So here are a couple of quick-to-make Christmas cards showcasing stamps from the Holiday Sketches: Christmas Flower and Vignette: Christmas Block sets. The sentiments I used are from the Sentiment Builders: Christmas & New Year. I also thought I'd try using my PanPastel Colors and was pleasantly surprised at the result! Our sketchy-artsy style stamps and PanPastel go well together apparently! :o)



STEP 1
On two pieces of card stock (3.75" by 3.75"), I stamped the poinsettia and word block in VersaMark watermark ink.


STEP 2
On the card stock stamped with the poinsettias, I applied magenta PanPastel, and I applied the green shade PanPastel over the card stock stamped with the word block. Notice how the colors stuck to the watermarked areas and are darker than the "white" or empty areas. This is how PanPastel Colors work. They are extremely fine pigments in a pan and are blendable. (Tip: Because PanPastel Colors are fine powders, it's a good idea to spray your finished work with fixative such as Krylon to prevent the colors from smudging. No Krylon? Regular hair spray works too...which is what I used in these cards because I ran out of Krylon.)


STEP 3
On scrap card stock, I stamped the poinsettia twice in midnight Mix'd Media Inx Chox and then fussy cut the images. I decided not to color them since I already have two background panels that are colored.


STEP 4
The last step is to put the cards together. I matted my panels on DCWV textured card stock, stamped the sentiment, and mounted the black and white poinsettia on the bottom corner of the panel. For a little bit of sparkle, I added some red stickles to the center of the poinsettias.



I hope my project today inspired you and even kicked you into a Christmas card-making gear! ;o) See you real soon!


Stamps Shery used in today's project:
      


Prize alert! Leave a comment in this post for an entry to our Spotlight Projects random drawing on September 30! You can read more about it here.

24 comments:

  1. I love the background effect that you have created with the pan pastels and stamps. I don't have any pp but the way you have used them has sparked my interest in maybe getting some.
    Loving the sentiments builders stamp (and range in general) in particular

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I imagine Perfect Pearls powder would work too -- I just don't have them :o)

      Delete
  2. Ohh la la, Shery - these are two lovely cards and your fantastic tutorial does make them seem "do-able", even though PanPastels aren't part of my collection. I have ideas for alternatives brewing though...Adding this to my ever-lengthening 'must do' STAMPlorations-inspired list!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are easy to make indeed, Carol! I've since made 10 more cards with this design when I felt well enough. Really helps to do quick and simple projects so I still feel I've done something ;o) I will be interested to see your alternatives -- should be fun and, knowing you, super creative!

      Delete
  3. G'Day. Love that green one with the Christmas sentiments. I am beginning to really like the simple cards. Great technique too. My hanks for sharing. Cheers. Hey Shery did u receive my email while back, I have not heard from you in a while....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monika. Sometimes, simple cards are the way to go, especially when it comes to Christmas cards and you gotta make a lot of them! The last email I received from you was dated August 29, when wrote that your dies are in the mail and you replied back. Did you send another one after that?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Rahmat. Would love to see what you make using this technique.

      Delete
  5. Wow! These are amazing! I'm feeling a bit nervous that Christmas is so near!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Before we know, it's Christmas...which is why I've been making Christmas cards like crazy the last couple of months ;o)

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous and pretty cards! I love the poinsettia background with pan pastels, beautiful technique! It's a good decision not to color the fussy cut poinsettia, really highlighted the card!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vinita! Yes, when you've already got a bold background, you actually wouldn't want your focal image to have color, in general, lest it ends up fighting with (or get lost in) the background :o)

      Delete
  7. People always laugh at me because I almost never send out Christmas cards, but I ALWAYS send out Valentine's cards. :) These are pretty and easy enough to make in bundles, though. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becca! I didn't use to mail out Christmas cards, but since moving away from home (thousands of miles away from my parents and family), it's something I look forward to each year. Unfortunately, I love to procrastinate too so my cards end up being late. So I'm trying to solve that problem by (1) making cards early and (2) creating cards that are easy and quick to make. Thanks for your feedback and glad you like the tutorial!

      Delete
  8. 15 cards in 30 mins..so fast and unbelievable ! I loved both cards and specially the bg with pan pastels :) Thanks for sharing the steps :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Pooja! Yes, 15 cards in 30 minutes -- but it's not the 2 cards in this tutorial, but another card I made awhile back (link in post). These two cards, while not as quick to make as the other one, were still pretty easy and relatively quick compared to my other cards. Thanks so much for your comment!

      Delete
  9. woooww Shery 15 cards in 30 Minutes...I ever made 5 minutes card but faster than you I never did LOL also means 2 minutes A card wooohooo you are so fast...oopps I see your answer above my comment also not this card....yes this is adorable and I think by fussy cut the flower it needs more than one minutes...but I dont have any pan Pastel..and never seen it in the shop in Munich..maybe one day it will be sell in Germany...love the colors of pan pastel and your sketch flower all are adorable..you are great by drawing Shery...me not LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wouldn't think this would ever be such a quick card to create it's a lovely effect :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this technique Shery. The Pan Pastels blend so beautifully and I love how they attach to the versamark ink to add even more depth of color. Thanks for the tutorial! Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your process with these beautiful and easy to mass produce cards, Shery! Pan Pastels are a bit pricey for my budget, but I have used chalks in the same way with equally good results. Your stamps are really the star(s) of these cards - love that pretty poinsettia!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the vibrant colours. Thanks for the tips. Hugz

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)