Tuesday, June 06, 2017

{Spotlight Project} Becca Sponges with Distress Oxides



Distress Oxides are all over the interwebs lately and I've been having some fun exploring my set of colors.



Today, I'm going to talk a little bit about some Distress Oxide properties and showcase how to make this card.


I began my design by sponging a layer of Distress Oxides onto a blank white panel.



Distress Oxides are a fusion blend of pigment and ink. That means that while they dry as quickly as Distress Inks and carry the same water-reactive properties, instead of blending smoothly together, Distress Oxides are opaque when you layer them.


For example,  you can see here that instead of my blue and yellow blending to form a nice green, the blue layers over the yellow because that's the last color I put on.


Once I had a thick coat of ink down, I used my Distress Spray bottle to flick specks of water over the top of my panel. When water is introduced, this type of ink oxidizes - changing the ink from a vibrant color to a gray. It's super fun!


I stamped the airplane from the Born to Roam 5x7 Stamp Club set, smooshed some Broken China Distress Oxides onto my craft mat, spritzed with water, and used the ink to watercolor my plane.


I completed my card by stamping a sentiment from the BOLD SENTIMENTS: Hashtag Authentic set. Et voila! A card was born!

If you try out any of the techniques or are inspired by my card, link it up to the Spotlight Gallery!

14 comments:

  1. So pretty, love your tutorial, great design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inky goodness :) i love this card and the use of distress oxides. Will have to give it a go soon.
    Cheers
    preeti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for pointing out the differences between the DOX inks and the DI's, especially when they overlap. Wonderful project Becca
    BLessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the tips etc on the oxides. Great card and loving the colours x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips. Love the inky panel and the simple plane. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow Becca this card is gorgeous. Love the distressed water spots you added:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome plane image on the gorgeous background! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great tutorial!! I love the background you created and that plane is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, this is such an amazing masculine card design!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)