Tuesday, September 05, 2017

{Spotlight Project} Becca Makes a Card for Overseas



Being a cardmaker, I hate seeing my cards sitting in a box. So I love sending my cards to people from the bloggy world. Sometimes I have made several correspondence pals in other countries and have quickly realized just how spendy sending international packages can be!


To counteract that postage payment, I've learned how to create one-layer cards like this one that still pack a beautiful punch.





I began my design by stamping one of the zentangle birds from the For the Birds stamp club set.



I used a black pen to create a sketchy box in the center of my card.



Because I knew I wanted to use Distress Crayons for blending, I primed my surface with some white gesso.



I used three different colors of Distress Crayon and scribbled them along the outer edges. I used my fingers to smudge and blend. Had I not used the gesso first, I would have had to use far more color to achieve the type of blend I wanted.



Next, I used some of the shapes from Artsy Tribal Doodles, masking my center with a piece of scrap paper. I messed up the edges by using a stamp from the Scribbly Splattery Grunge set.




Lastly, I embossed a sentiment from the BOLD SENTIMENTS: Believe stamp set.



Put it all together and you get this bold card with lots of "layers" but it still lays flat for easy-on-the-wallet postal readiness.

Thanks for tuning in! If you saw something today that inspires you to make your own one-layer design, feel free to link it up to the Spotlight Gallery.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful card Becca and I'm sure the recipient loved it. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. A stunning one layer card Becca - love the blended edge and the scribbly frame you have used
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful card! Thank you for the tutorial. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too favour flat designs for posting! Well thought designs are just as beautiful than lots of layers...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful card. I too had to learn to size it down to one layer cards for my friends. Even in the states. Postage just got too high.

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)